All religious courseware and programs are prescribed by the various religious institutions that have chosen to develop them. The programs are not created or maintained by the Boy Scouts. BSA simply approves the program structure and provides a method of recognition via the Uniform Knots for Scouts and Adults.
Religious study programs that are designed for 3rd grade youth can be used to satisfy the rank requirements for Bear.
A Cub Scout-specific metal ‘device’ (pin # 926) is available for the Purple Scout Religous Knot, BSA part number 05007
Depending on the scout’s faith, they have options such as:
|Roman Catholic||Parvuli Dei||3rd, 4th and 5th grade|
|Christian Protestent||God & Me||1st, 2nd and 3rd grade|
|Islamic||In the Name of God||1st, 2nd and 3rd grade|
|Jewish||Aleph||2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th|
To complete the BEAR RANK,
the scout must do one of either Activities 1 (Ways we Worship) or 2 (Emblems of Faith).
1. WAYS WE WORSHIP (complete both requirements 1a and 1b)
- Complete the Character Connection for Faith
- Know. Name some people in history who have shown great faith. Discuss with an adult how faith has been important at a particular point in his or her life.
- Commit. Discuss with an adult how having faith and hope will help you in your life, and also discuss some ways that you can strengthen your faith.
- Practice. Practice your faith as you are taught in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or religious fellowship.
- Make a list of things you can do this week to practice your religion as you are taught in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or other religious community. Check them off your list as you complete them.
2. EMBLEMS OF FAITH (earn the purple knot above)
Guidance based on the BSA Bear Handbook (2006 edition) – pages 24-33.
If you know of other resources related Religious Programs, Awards or Rank Advancements, please let us know !